Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Meet me at the Caravanserai

I was a bad girl...I took Friday off to go to lovely Victoria to see one of the single most influential musicians in my life...

Ladies and gentlemen...Loreena McKennitt.

It was such an amazing experience, and having Laurel there to share it with me meant so much more.
Even with the Greyhound strike, Pacific Coach Lines (the bus route we took) was great. The entire traveling portion of the trip went without a single hitch....the bus left on time, rolled onto the ferry, got off, and dropped us in Victoria.
The downtown core was stunning, to say the least...(Don't worry, Laurel got tons of photos. :D ) We got to Keith's place no problem (Dad, I don't know what you're talking about....Keith's place is in a fine neighbourhood!), unloaded our stuff, took a nap, then headed out.
We went to this awesome Irish pub before the concert to grab something to eat...what a place! The building was gorgeous, and the food and the atmosphere were great! They had live Celtic music downstairs! How cool is that?!
Afterwards, we walked a few blocks to the 'McPherson theatre.' I kept on telling Laurel that this really didn't look like the right area...it was kinda dumpy for a theatre. So, we went inside to ask the guy, and he was like "Oh, Loreena McKennitt! She's at the Royal McPherson Theatre!"
....So, after walking about eight blocks (my first time in stiletto heels, by the way...ow.), we get to this theatre that is literally a castle. It was just stunningly beautiful.
We get inside, take our seats, and realize that we drastically brought down the average age group of the entire theatre crowd..(everyone was at least 35-40+...it felt a bit odd.) But, she came on, playing the harp, and opening up with She Moved Through the Fair. I warned Laurel beforehand, but I just couldn't help the tears that ran down my face....I was just so happy to be able to see this. Not to mention that the seats I bought were in the second row - we were so close, we could see the crow's feet near her eyes, and every smile she gave.
She was a breathtaking performance, and so multi-talented - in that single night, she effortlessly switched between the harp, piano and acordian, and I'm sure she can play more. It was great though...it was obvious that she really cared for the people she played with, and they adored her in return.
The whole experience was like something out of a dream....I still can't believe it happened. ^_^

Needless to say, we got back okay....tired, but okay (we got up at 6 am in order to get back at around 10:30). I'm going to write Keith a very nice thank you note...I don't think it's appropriate to give him a twenty. :D

Anyhoo, it was perfect in every way. I had lots of fun, and I would do it all again in an instant. :D
Photos will come up hopefully soon when I grab them from Lo.

All the best,
Cady

No comments: