Tuesday, December 19, 2006

He Will Be Remembered

Hello, dears.
For those who read this blog, I'm sure this is nothing new, but for the newcomers, it is with a heavy heart that I annouce the passing of the brilliant Joseph Barbera (1911-2006), the other remaining half of the Hanna-Barbera duo of animation.
Realistically speaking, no, I never knew the man, but if it weren't for people like him, who knows where I, among thousands of others, would be today? Would I really be going to a school JUST for animation? Would I be training to spend the rest of my adult life making cartoons? Perhaps, if men like him, along with Bill Hanna, hadn't come along, commerical - hell, just animation PERIOD might not be where it is today.
Case in point.
As a citizen of North America, it's undeniable that characters such as Tom and Jerry, the Flintstones, and Yogi Bear have made SOME sort of impact. If I go up to my 57 year old dad and say, "Yabba dabba do!" he'll know exactly what I'm talking about.
Thank you, Sir Joseph, for taking animation where it is today.
I'm sure that a gray tabby and a little brown mouse are weeping for the loss.
Love always,
Cady

Joseph Barbera
1911-2006

No comments: